Calcium is a very important mineral, not only for humans but also for animals. Adequate and reasonable calcium supplementation for dogs is one of the problems that many dog owners have not yet grasped.
1- Why do calcium supplements for dogs?
Calcium is necessary for the formation of bones and teeth. If the body is deficient in calcium, it will cause various diseases that adversely affect your dog such as:
- Bone is malformed.
- Hip dysplasia.
- Weak muscles.
- Low blood pressure and heart rate.
- Weak teeth, degenerate teeth.
- Soft bones, crunchy bones.
- The body grows slowly, the dogs are sick easily.
- Poor eyes.
- Life is not high.
2 – How does calcium supplement?
They help supply calcium for dogs such as copper crabs, shrimp, fish, fluffy duck eggs, eggshells, bones, … Besides, your dog should have time to practice getting familiar. Otherwise it will easily lead to diarrhea if the dog body is not suitable.
Minimize dog food for easy digestion, easy absorption, and add digestive enzymes when feeding dogs to supplement protein.
Currently, on the market there are many different dog medicines to supply calcium for dogs in liquid or tablet form. Generally, the formula of the drug is vitamin D combined with Calcium. In addition, there is another form of drug used to deliver straight into the vein, but is often used only in an emergency or severe calcium deficiency.
Giving your dog medicine divided into many times will bring better results. Calcium is a synthetic chemical, after entering the small intestine they will be absorbed, the rest of the absorbed parts will be excreted. Therefore, the quality and purity of Calcium will directly affect the effectiveness of drug absorption. Calcium absorption is the most important thing.
Calcium pellets / foods:
These foods always have a certain amount of calcium available at each stage.
The content of calcium contained in milk is quite large and easy to absorb, milk is the main source of calcium for dogs from birth to separation. Milk should be fed into a daily diet of dogs, often given goat milk because milk is easier to absorb and digest than cow’s milk.
3- Reaction after calcium supplementation:
Dogs may have yellow urine, which is caused by calcium heating up in the body. You can give your dog a vitamin C supplement or a diuretic supplement.
4 – Calcium supplementation according to dog age:
- Dogs are under 8 weeks of age: not adding anything, people should care dogs with milk.
- Pooches are 8-16 weeks of age: calcium supplementation as directed by each manufacturer.
- Puppies are from 16 to 36 weeks of age: This time the dog is growing strongly, so calcium supplementation is very necessary.At this time, the food needs to increase 20-30% compared to before and must allow the dog to operate and run a lot.
- Dogs are 36-48 weeks of age: Dogs have gradually stabilized, so they no longer need to provide calcium. We just need to listen to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Dogs are from 48 weeks of age: dogs almost turn to develop body thickness, they start to strengthen the tendon & muscle system. Maintaining calcium supplementation according to the manufacturer’s instructions, providing a moderate amount of strength for the bones of the dog, without osteoporosis and brittle bones.
Besides, always take the dog out to bathe in the morning for about 20 minutes / day. Only natural light makes the body easier to absorb water and food. Moreover, daily exercise and regular sunbathing are very important. In case you do not allow your dog to exercise regularly and sunbathe daily, Calcium supplementation for dogs as above is not effective.